"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Friday 23 March 2012

A Maple Syrup Hissy Fit


If there's one thing I adore, it's maple syrup. And if there's one thing I adore about maple syrup, it's maple syrup festivals. Oh, the walk through the woods, the smell of wood fires, the pleasant people dressed in period costumes, the kettle corn line ups, and best of all, the pancakes and sausages and syrup...I think it's just great.

My loving husband, however, has a slightly different viewpoint, as evidenced by our conversation the other night.

Me: (bouncing around in an annoying fashion): Guess what time of year it is???
D: (grimly) What?
Me: MAPLE SYRUP TIME!!!! It's the old time maple syrup festival this weekend and-
D: No.
Me: But-
D: NO.
Me: What do you mean, no?
D: I AM NOT GOING TO THAT $#@^& THING EVER AGAIN.
Me: (pouting) But you went last year.
D: Yes. And I'm not going this year.
Me: But the kids will love it!
D: I don't care.
Me: (batting eyelashes and making wanton gestures in his direction) Don't you love me anymore?
D: Yes. (holds his hand up high in measurement) I love you THIS much. (holds other hand significantly lower) And this is how much I love that stupid sh*tty festival. I'm NOT GOING. EVER. AGAIN.

Well. At least he got it out of his system. The question is, do I attempt to take two children under the age of three to an outdoor festival myself, or do I stay home and sulk? Or (and this is the idea that really appeals to me) do I run away and leave D with the kids, and go by myself, gorge on pancakes and kettle corn and come home when I'm satisfied?

Hmmmm....

1 comment:

Lily Whalen said...

If you must go, I think you'd have a lot more fun by yourself, or with a girlfriend who's similarly inclined. Personally, I'm with your husband on this one. I went once and will never go again.