"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Thursday 5 November 2009

The White Poppy


So what are your thoughts on this: instead of wearing a red poppy, I'm toying with the idea of wearing a white one.

I thought it was a rather new-fangled idea, but apparently the white poppy has been around for quite awhile. Since 1933, according to the 'net; a women's guild in England started wearing them to symbolize their committment to peace. I like that.

I don't typically wear poppies of any colour for Remembrance Day. It just isn't my thing; I never wore an AIDS ribbon, or a Breast Cancer ribbon, or those little angels you sometimes see. I deeply appreciate the sacrifices made by so many not that long ago; heck, Grandpa Feick was a doctor in WWII. I just don't feel I need to wear a poppy to prove it. I don't usually care to attract attention to myself, but there's a wee little bit of the shit disturber in me (pardon my language) that likes the idea of wearing something that might invite conversation.

By wearing a white poppy, I'd run the risk of offending someone, somewhere. Which is not something I'm eager to do. But I am a fan of people talking about things, even in the grocery store line. I'm a fan of making conscious decisions instead of simply sticking a red poppy on my coat because that's what you're supposed to do this time of year. I don't want to disrespect those who "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS," anyone with family in the military or anyone who has lost someone to war; I just like the idea of wearing my peacenik proclivities on my sleeve, so to speak, and being willing to talk to anyone who asks me about it.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

MrsS said...

Thank goodness it's all a matter of choice whether to wear a poppy or not. You're remembering those who died Kimber and that's the important part. In Britain we buy a poppy and the proceeds go too help those who fought, and are still fighting - so every little helps. Hope wee Jade is well and smiling lots for you today. xx

Biddie said...

I always buy the poppies, but I seldom wear them, either. I always poke myself and end up losing it anyway.
I think that the white poppy is a great idea. I have always been accused of being a shit starter, although, personally, I think that is more due to the rumour mill :) I would wear a white poppy.Until I poked myself or lost it :)

tanzi said...

I used to wonder about wearing a poppy, but I do so now with awareness. Before I was concerned I was somehow condoning war by wearing one, but I don't feel that way at all anymore. The blood red colour is a strong reminder of what war really entails. I think working on W-O's Remembrance Day assembly made this clear to me. It's why you wear it, or don't, that matters.