"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Scared silly at Someday


They (e.g. the weatherfinks) have predicted -20 weather for the next few days, cheerfully adding "or -30 with the windchill!" Apparently exposed skin can freeze really quickly in this type of weather. My dad called this morning to inquire whether I knew what to do if my pipes froze. Egads.

Now, as I've mentioned before, I don't mind the cold. I can handle frigid temps and I am not one of those people who refuses to wear winter gear for fear of looking unfashionable or goofy (D bought me my very own pair of insulated coveralls for Christmas two years ago, thank you very much). I love snow - the deeper the better! - and I can even handle the isolation the mixture of the elements enforces on people living in the country. What I cannot handle is the scary, scary wind.

Yes, I know what you're thinking: who in their right mind would move to Bruce County, home of windmills galore, if they don't like wind? Call it temporary, self-imposed ignorance. Sheltered as we were in Blair's Grove last year, I really had no clue just how windy it actually is here. I have tried to get used to it, but can't seem to lose my suspicion that the wind is somehow out to get me. I don't know what I'm expecting - to be swept up like Mary Poppins and flown to Detroit? Like all irrational fears, being scared of the wind is a bit ridiculous. But I'm telling you, when it blows up here, I cower like a dog in a thunderstorm and want to creep under the dining room table.

It is howling and shrieking outside my study window like an angry banshee as I type this with trembling fingers. It has tossed our Christmas lights askew, knocked over my nice new light-up deer and shredded pieces of the steel barn roof. Neko doesn't even want to go out in it, which is the ultimate sign of impending doom. I can see one member of my gang of Blujays huddled in the pine tree outside, looking perturbed. Even the thick branches can't shelter him from these crazy gusts. His little feathery cap keeps flipping over backwards, reminding me a bit of my Dad's old comb-over flying up when we'd go skiing.

No likey windy. Going to go and turn up the stereo now to drown out the banshee sounds. How I am going to summon enough bravery to feed the kitties or get the mail, I'm not too sure...

4 comments:

Lily Whalen said...

No need to summon bravery - wait for D!

Gingham Skies said...

I second Susan's point! :)

Lois said...

Hey Kim.
I understand exactly what you mean about the wind. I am the same. I don't like wind at all. I tend to get very uneasy when it kicks up.
I also like snow. I don't care how cold it gets really.
And it was very nice of D to think of keeping you warm with those overalls too!
Anyway, turn the music up and dance around Neko. He may think your odd but he's just a dog so what does he know anyway?
Lois

MrsS said...

My hubby used to work continental shifts wich meant he worked night shift one week out of three. If it was going to be windy, if would be the week he was at work during the night. I hate wind and the sound it makes; I hate hearing the 'things' that move around during windy night; noises that keep me awake wondering what I will find when morning comes. Snow's much better.xx PS - youu have a lovely dad - it's nice that he worries about you.