"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Tuesday 9 December 2008

The Flu, Someday style


My husband's adorable 6 month-old neice, whom I've christened "germ-baby," visited for the family Christmas extravaganza this past weekend. How someone so small and so darling could manage to infect 5 of us with the flu, I'll never understand. I thought I'd escaped the curse, but it serves me right for being smug when everyone else got it. This morning, I woke up and knew one simple fact: the toilet and I would become very, very good friends today.

Thankfully I only have a mild dose of old Influenzie. D's dad got it and threw up four times during the night. (D told me that when the old man retches, the whole house shakes.) D's brother got it and actually missed work for the first time in years. So I count myself lucky to work at home and be in close proximity to the porcelain god.

The worst thing about having just a mild case of the flu, in my opinion, is not the stomach pains, the inability to keep anything down or the shakes: it's the BOREDOM. OH, the boredom! I hate TV (and we don't have a connection yet anyway), I've read every book I can think of, not to mention every Sears/Home Hardware/Agricultural flyer I can find, I've stared out every window of the house, and I've napped until my back aches. Neko keeps groaning and sighing at the bottom of the stairs but I can't stray far enough away from the bathroom to take her for a walk. The second worst thing? Not being able to eat anything delicious. Yesterday was D's birthday, and there's a whole rack of chocolate cupcakes taunting me from the counter. But alas...I'm attempting to follow the flu-related "BRAT" diet, which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. I feel like a four year old.

Things, of course, could be worse. I could have a raging case and be retching my guts out. Or D could have it and we could both be sick at the same time, something not conducive to marital harmony. So I'll just keep spooning applesauce into my mouth and shut up. After all, maybe D will bring me a movie and some ginger ale when he comes home. Or better yet, maybe he'll stroke my hair as I lay prone on the couch and say, "Aww, you poor thing." THAT makes being sick all worth while.

6 comments:

Lily Whalen said...

Get well soon - even if you have to forego D's ministrations! :) And make sure at least one of those cupcakes makes it into the freezer for you to enjoy when you can really appreciate it. As for your sweet little niece, I'm sure she didn't mean any harm to her dear Aunt Kimmie!

Kimber said...

Thanks Susan - I'm feeling much better today (finally).

Gingham Skies said...

Oh YUCK! It's been a long while since the flu has hit this household (knock on wood) - I certainly don't envy you! :( Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better today. Well enough for cupcakes I hope!

tanzi said...

Um, Why did they go with the baby if she was so sick???

tanzi said...

Get betterrrrrrrrr!

Lois said...

Hi Kim!
Glad to read that you are starting to feel a bit better. No way you want to be sick over Christmas. (Been there, done that, hopefully never again!)
So get 100% better and take your puppy and a cupcake out for a walk.