"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Sister Misser


Well, my sister Tanzi left yesterday for the long day's journey back to Moscow. Actually, she's stopping off in London first to take in an unlikely performance: Jude Law as Hamlet. If Hamlet had slept with his nanny, dated a skin and bones starlet and had a habit of impregnating women 10 years his junior, I might believe Jude in the role. At this point, I'm having a hard time picturing pretty boy as the brooding prince of Denmark.

But hey - to each their own. Hopefully it's not a total disaster. At the very least, Tanzi will have the whole crazy city of London to explore for a few days before she heads back to the less than passionate embrace of the 'Cow.

I shouldn't moan too much; we were lucky to have spent most of the summer together. I was so thankful she got a chance to meet her niece and hang with us. We did our annual Bayfield and Stratford pilgramages, drank countless cups o' coffee and played lots of Yahtzee (man, if Facebook ever creates a Yahtzee application, we are so screwed). We slept in, went to the beach, shopped a little, ate a lot of great food and drank a lot of great wine (let's never speak of my attempts at making mojitos again).

It's gonna be a slow and lonely August without her. I got used to waking up and hearing her patented greeting ("Meow!") from the guest bedroom. I relished the fact that I could take an extra-long shower and know that she'd be keeping Jady Lady entertained. I miss seeing her buddha statue on the guest bedroom night table. And I was tickled by how many people thought Jade was Tanzi's baby when we were out and about because she was usually snuggled in her Auntie's arms. In fact, I think the phrase I will remember most from this summer is Tanzi saying, "Can I hold her?" (Thanks Jaime for the beautiful photo!)

Whenever I miss Tanzi too much, I just have to look at all the lovely keepsakes she's given me over the years: my polished stone with golden Koi swimming on it; my "New Beginnings" picture; the rose and violet art she gave me this summer. When my sister cravings get to be too much, I'm able to take some comfort in the ultimate calmer-downer: lying in my king-sized bed under the hand-made quilts D's aunts made us, listening to my husband breathing on my right and my daughter breathing on my left, secure in the love of my little family. That's when I remember that the Tanzinator WILL return!

Well Tanzi, only a few more months until I start making subtle hints about you coming home for Chrissie...in the meantime, I'll innundate your inbox with stories and pictures of wee Jade so you don't miss a moment of her growth spurts, poopy explosions, bizarre noises and other wacky baby accomplishments.

3 comments:

Biddie said...

I totally get the whole sister thing now. It has always been a mystery to me - how to achieve that closeness, the bond that sisters have. I think that in some ways I tried too hard before.
You can't force it. You have always had it with Tanzie, and M, and I always wanted it.
I'm so glad that you and Tanzie had some time with Jade. I can only imagine how dificult this last good bye was...She WILL be home for Christmas, right???

MrsS said...

Jade is so bright eyed and beautiful - thanks for posting another couple of photo. Don't forget to inundate us with photos and news! xx - (and it's nice to read about Tanzi too - hurry back Tanzi).

tanzi said...

Thanks, Kimmy! I'm all teary and faclemped (sp?) now. What a beautiful post...though it creeps me out slightly that D breathing on you in the am makes you think of me. Ew.

I'll be home in a few months to hog my niece again. Can't wait!
xoxoxo

Thanks for a fantastic summer! Love ya! Meow.