"Someday's gonna be a busy day..."

Wednesday 7 November 2007

Someday's gonna be a busy day

I was born in a small town, spent most of my life in a small city, recently moved to a rural community astride Lake Huron. Married for 10 years to a man I'd known since I was 16 who subsequently cheated on me with a mutual friend, divorced a month before my 35th birthday, married now to my true love, D. As I've whispered to him many times across the pillow, I didn't realize life could be this good.

D was born and raised up here on a dairy farm. My tiny family consists of my two sisters, father, grandmother and an estranged uncle, plus my aunt and three cousins in Nova Scotia and a swath of mostly unkonwn relations scattered throughout Russia. D's family is so big they have to rent the community centre - TWICE - to celebrate Christmas together. It's strange going to town and always meeting someone who knows me, that someone more than likely related to D in some way. There is no anonymity here; but I'm happy to trade that for the frank friendliness in people's faces.

We bought a 200 acre property, complete with barns, apple orchards, river, forest and big ramshackle house. Or, I should say, D's Dad bought everything and we'll sever off our 4 acres as soon as the township lets us. We're going to call it Someday Farm - since someday seems to be our key word. e.g. "Someday I'm gonna own land," "Someday I'm going to buy myself diamond earrings," "Someday, when we have a slew of kids running around here..." etc. My famous quote: "Someday's gonna be a busy day!"

No comments: